Service des Accelerateurs, de Cryogenie et de Magnetisme+33 1 69 08 73 28
+33 1 69 08 64 42
SRF R&D : surface and material studies for superconducting radiofrequency cavities
- Study of internal contamination of (Nb), and influence on its superconducting properties.
• Surface studies: first evidence of segregation of impurities (H, O, N, F....) at oxide-metal interface and grain boundaries, surface treatment evaluation, fine exploration of the surface of niobium vs surface treatment.
• Morphologic + topologic surface study, influence of relief on radiofrequency EM field.
• Superconductivity : understanding present niobium limitation, developpement of new composite supreconductors.
- Study of superficial contamination
• Superficial contamination studies (dust): contaminating steps, influence of particles' shape...
• Ultra clean techniques development: concept of closed chemistry (first prototype), advisor for the design of the DESY chemical lab. + clean room.
- Niobium metallurgy, influence on its mechanical and forming properties.
• Study of the supplied metal for cavity fabrication, analysis of forming failure.
• Start of an industrial transfer project on hydroforming of Nb tubes.
• development of mettalurgical and machining specifications for Niobium
- After Niobium : a new family of nano-composite superconductors.
• development of layered composite superconductors specially designed for SRF applications.
Tutorials SRF 2011
Science vulgarisation (posters, exposition, conferences in schools and highschools